AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's wrong with addressing someone as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 5/27/2015 15:38 (#4594258 - in reply to #4594032)
Subject: RE: What's wrong with addressing someone as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'?

Southeast Wyoming

Bobswia - 5/27/2015 11:42 I have noticed that more women who wait tables and work at cash register starting to call me " hon " ( I am 74 ) but then some of my friends still call me Bobby, does't bother me either way. Bob

I think that "hon" thing is an indication that they think we are old enough to be "harmless".  Darn I hate that.    lol

Earlier in life my response to being called sir on informal occasions was:   "Don't call me sir, I work for a living."  When called Mr Lyon on informal occasions I usually say: "Mr Lyon was my dad, I'm Gary."

At this age I have learned that it is an honor to be addressed at all, at least in a respectful way.

I was brought up referring to unmarried ladies as Miss.   I will sometimes refer to a good acquaintance as Ms (given name) pronounced Mizz, or as Miss (given name.)

The movie "Driving Miss Daisy" may indicate that MIss is okay for older ladies also.

We may never know since there are no older ladies on this site! 

Just a little more rambling.  Years ago the neighbor's had a oil well drilled on the 160 acres they referred to earlier as "The Ponderosa"  I grew up with the family and one day referred to the mom as Miss Eli, thinking of the tv show "Dallas".  She blushed and giggled.  Then I realized that she was thinking of the Clampetts who found oil and moved to the Beverly Hills ( Beverly Hillbillies).  She was thinking of Eli May; I was delighted to have her think that, it brought a huge smile to her face.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)