AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's wrong with addressing someone as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 5/27/2015 10:02 (#4593798 - in reply to #4593707)
Subject: RE: What's wrong with addressing someone as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'?

Southeast Wyoming

MrsAgriculture - 5/27/2015 08:00 Just this weekend, someone standing near me was insulted that a high school boy called her Ma'am. Replying with "I'm not that old, do not call me Ma'am." I thought he was being polite to her, but apparently some people take great offense to it. I find it sincere and polite. I mean, I could call you worse!

I hope the school boy gets a chance for a retake; "Hi there, kid" may make her day . . . maybe not.   lol

I've not noticed any offense taken a "sir" and "ma'am" here.  I do need to admit that once in a while I forget a name I should remember and "Thank you, sir" or some other acknowledgement is used instead of the name which has slipped my mind.

In boot camp we soon learned that "the first and the last word out of your mouth will be Sir."     Sir, yes Sir.  Sir, I don't understand, Sir. Sir, I do understand, Sir.        )         "Wipe that smile off of your face, dirtbag"  Sir, yes Sir      (

O' the good ol' days.

Edited  Oh what a mental lapse.  The word "I" was forbidden.  It was always "the private".  . . . Sir, the private does not understand, Sir. . . . Sir, the private does understand, Sir. . . .

Edited by Gary Lyon 5/27/2015 10:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)