AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maintenance and upkeep: Am I wrong?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

BigHowie62
Posted 4/1/2015 09:22 (#4490035 - in reply to #4479185)
Subject: RE: Maintenance and upkeep: Am I wrong?

Cent Illinois
My grandparents were all born +\- 1900. One set raised 4 boys and the other set 2 boys/4 girls and 3 nieces and nephews through the Great Depression. I had the honor of knowing AND working with my maternal grandmother and paternal grandfather. While they were both conservative and frugal, neither would have batted an eyelash at spending money for maintenance.......and you likely would've been chastised for not properly caring for and maintaining what you had.

My father, now 83 and suffering from dementia, always ran older but very well maintained and CLEAN equipment........rust was the enemy. Oil leaks weren't tolerated. And yes, believe it or not, we ALWAYS washed the manure spreaders and 3200 and 4800 gal manure tanks and waxed the gravity wagons, combine, tractors, 2 - ton truck and pickups.

Dads rule was, "if you run out of something to do, pick up a broom, a shovel or start pulling weeds"........weed whackers and roundup were a luxury 30-40 years ago. :) FYI- our landlord owned a Harvestore dealership and frequently brought tour groups through our (his) hog and cattle operation and things were always "show ready" in dads words.

Not sure what growing up through the depression has to do with it. Sounds like stubborn and set in his ways might describe your father. Enjoy him while you can. You'll miss him when you can't.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)