AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Only thing I can figure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kscropguy
Posted 10/26/2014 08:51 (#4145452 - in reply to #4145323)
Subject: RE: Only thing I can figure

Central Kansas
Deere4955 - 10/26/2014 07:34

I think bout that kinda stuff all the time and I doubt myself. Our busy season is from March April to November December. With irrigation and maintenance and hauling there's not much time left. It's not necessarily the long hours it's the stress and frustration. I'd have to look through my hours but I work 50-60 hours a week in off time. Last week was 80 hours. I'd have no problem working 90 hours me and my brother. We bicker but we talk all day long. Shelling corn we talk. We both help make decisions. we have earpieces and talk. My uncle wants to control everything. And is on the phone all day. Mostly business but it's very frustrating when you arent able to make decisions and you can't call the person that does. Maybe it's me. I just have a hard time with everything. One minute were gonna do one thing next minute plan changes. Like I said maybe it's me maybe I just aint cut out for it. I'll work longer hours during the week to get a day off. I'll work the hours if my brain doesn't go in circles because of plan changes.

I think this post hits the nail on the head. Your uncle is having a hard time coming up with a concrete plan. Earlier you said he has stated that he stayed up all night planning the next day. He is obviously to distracted to get it done when he should. I am a control freak! But I am also a planner. I know by 5 o'clock the previous day what I am planning to do the next day(things do change from time to time). Your uncle should have a morning meeting and give you a list of things to do. I realize things change but if the plan constantly changes he is a poor planner and communicator.
This obviously is causing distress for you.

Now for my advice. I think you are in a very bad situation. The problem you have is if grandpa passes you and your brother will be even more the whipping boys. Very rarely do these situations get better.(although we don't know much about your grandfather by your post). I am guessing that with your age that your uncle is in his 50's so with his personality he will maintain manager responsibilities for up to 25 more years. Can you gut out being the "hired" man at age 50? You need to get this out on the table with him. Make sure that he understands your wife and family deserve respect and there is stress there that he doesn't understand. Finally, you have to draw a line in the sand and say one toe across will be the end. Long hours are common so I don't think there is much negotiation there. Be respectful but firm.

It is interesting what one of the previous posters said about standing up to his Grandfather. It is sad that had to happen. But it is more common on farms than you might think. I always tell my friends that there is a difference between being an elder and just being older(add your own definition)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)