AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Youth traveling basketball
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

MikeBra
Posted 3/4/2021 13:16 (#8872595 - in reply to #8865546)
Subject: RE: Youth traveling basketball

Onalaska WI
Wait until Middle School at least. Lack of perspective on what is important or when "higher" competition levels are needed is the problem. If your son is in 3rd grade, you don't want to burn him or you two out on any sport before it actually becomes fun to watch. I am on my third kid through youth sports and second going through HS. I have coached at youth level and in HS and see kids that are the "next best thing" in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade then just disappear.

This last year has kind of sucked for sports. The highlight has been that my two youngest boys have had a lot of stuff canceled and I have had an opportunity to spend a lot of time with them practicing (mostly baseball). This might go down as one of my most enjoyable spring/summers. The time you spend with them is the highlight. Put up a nice hoop, learn about the sports he likes and help him. Help him create some curiosity for the games he likes. Sports reward you with winning but more importantly teach you how to come back from a loss.
Also- parents feel guilty when their kid is not able to do all the stuff other kids are doing and feel like their kid will be left behind and not have fun. It is unfair to put that on yourself.
Enjoy the time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)