AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Did we learn anything from last week?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 2/25/2021 08:13 (#8856918 - in reply to #8856768)
Subject: RE: Did we learn anything from last week?

Nw Iowa
I guess my faith goes down in government more everyday as we chase agendas not reality. We built a new house and had a remote cord built into garage and electrical panel that disconnects from mail line. So that can be run from a 7000 portable gen. I also purchased a 22 kw lp unit that we are getting installed this spring. ( bought it last fall about freeze up time. ) Had a very nice 50 kw diesel that I bought when cell towers were updating but I found 2 things. Diesel fuel doesn’t stay in very good condition over a couple of years and it takes a lot of fuel to run a 50 kw if you are just running a house and garage. They aren’t like a tractor where you can idle them down. I guess I am more concerned about a long term shortage than a day outage. Even a 20 kw uses close to 2 gals a hr under full load if I remember. So I guess you can have perfect setup but if you don’t have fuel to run it you are no better off than nothing. I guess we talk about spending big money on a lot of things, I think a good quality 7000 portable gen ( Yamaha) that would also do 220volts is around $ 1500-2000. You can also own a 3-4000 watt gen around a 1000 on up. So for around 3000 and you will find a lot of uses for them besides emergencies. You will have backup on backup, you can deduct expense against your taxes and if you take decent care of them will have them for a lifetime. Figure in advance how to run basic furnace and a fridge and your family will survive.
. For a full farm hard to beat a pto generator but even than make sure you are ready and not trying to string cords over a snow bank and have it hooked up to a tractor that will start and have a fuel source that isn’t froze up meaning no 1 fuel.

Edited by jdironman 2/26/2021 08:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)