AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Worst Meal You Got as a Hired Man
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Haleiwa
Posted 1/21/2021 15:06 (#8769727 - in reply to #8769592)
Subject: RE: Worst Meal You Got as a Hired Man

West Chazy, New York

One of my best friends in Hawaii was a salvage dealer who had worked for several years in a previous life for a ship breaking crew that was hired by a Taiwanese man.  Most of the time they went to Manila or Indonesia, but one time they took a derelict ship to Taiwan.  My friend's job was to keep enough pumps running to prevent it from sinking before it got to the customer.  This particular ship was bought right and sold right, and the profit was enormous.  In typical Chinese fashion, the employer wanted to do something for his crew, and the reward was a week in a very fine hotel in Taiwan and going to nice restaurants every evening.  Tradition has it that the guest of honor receives the head of the animal being served, and since they were there for several days they took turns being the guest of honor.  It's not a big deal when the main course is fish.  The evening it was my friend's turn, the meal was whole roasted birds, about like Cornish hens.  Sure enough, when they served him, he got a covered bowl, and when the lid was removed, it was full of bird heads.  As he put it, "I stared at them, and they stared back at me."  He had a flash of inspiration, and told the waiter that there had been a mistake; the Taiwanese man was the guest of honor, and the waiter switched bowls.  The Taiwanese man was delighted, and ate the bird heads with gusto, sucking the eyeballs out and pulling the tongues out, cracking the skulls, and eating the brains.  My friend sat there quietly and ate his roasted bird.  He said it was pretty good.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)