AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Worst Meal You Got as a Hired Man
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 1/25/2021 17:15 (#8781047 - in reply to #8769592)
Subject: RE: Worst Meal You Got as a Hired Man

East of Broken Bow
Not my story, but my dad's:
Way back when they still had threshing bees, my dad was one of the 'kids' who helped out, doing what he could, along with a neighbor's kid, who was a little older. Because of their 'kid' status, when mealtime came around, they were to help the women, get things ready at mealtime. The noon meal, was generally eaten outside, in the shade. Their job, was to carry everything out to the tables outside, before the men came out, while the women finished the last of the preparation. One time, when they had already carried out some of the food, a freak dust devil went right through the yard, where they were carrying out the food. Most things were in heavy pots, so nothing was blown over, but when they looked at everything, they noticed one of those dry, lightweight cow pies was carried up, and landed right in the pot of gravy.
My dad was mortified and wondered what to do. The older kid, looked around, and seeing they were the only ones there, fished the cow pie out of the gravy himself. Dad asked what do we do now? The older kid said 'Nothing. They make us kids eat last every time, so by the time we get to fill our plate, that pot of gravy will be empty, and we'll be bringing out a fresh one.'.
Neither of them said a word about it, for years afterward. As far as I know, they waited until most of the 'men' were too old to care, before they repeated the story.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)