AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good post below, new twist, cost to live
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cat33
Posted 1/17/2019 05:58 (#7250646 - in reply to #7250559)
Subject: RE: Good post below, new twist, cost to live

NE SD
davpal - 1/17/2019 00:03

These kind of threads always crack me up. Yesterday I just told the guys at work I don't think it cost me $10 bucks a day to live most days. Most peacocks think they need to spend $200-$500 a day to impress the neighbors. I don't know how I withstand the hardship. Getting over insecurities is the first step to living on less than you make. If you're insecure about yourself and your house and vehicles, and everything you deal with in life you'll spend yourself into oblivion and beyond trying to make up for being insecure and still won't be happy in the long run. Dave Ramesey calls it spending money to impress people you don't know and don't care what you do anyway. There are $25,000 dollar houses around here and there are $250,000 dollar houses around here. Admitting you might only be able to afford the $25,000 dollar one is a tough pill for people to swallow so they buy the $250,000 dollar one and two new vehicles and fight with the wife every day over money and end up foreclosed on anyway. They could have lived in the cheap house for 5 or 10 years and saved the cash to buy the $250,000 dollar house and never have a mortgage for the rest of their lives.

My wife and I don't have kids, don't take vacations, rarely go out to eat, she has a job that takes care of insurance for both of us (oh the horror, a working wife), don't drink or smoke and waste money on things like that. She doesn't buy clothes/shoes/purses left and right. Doesn't like jewelry or other material things other than her wedding ring and maybe a necklace for weddings, funerals, etc. We don't carry balances on our credit cards as they are paid off every month.

We spend money on what we want, and it's not to impress anybody. She gets a new vehicles every 3ish years, mostly because she's on the road to head to work at 4am and i'd prefer to not have her driving something with 200,000 miles on it when it's snowing and -20 in the dark for 20 some miles. We have money on satellite tv because that's our entertainment since we don't go out. We put up a new house 10 years ago even though we had a paid for 120 year old one that needed 70k for various things. I upgrade my computer every couple of years, and spent a decent chunk on a weather station setup that I "didn't need" just because weather is a hobby that I enjoy.

We put away plenty for retirement, but we aren't going to live like paupers now either.

Point is, if you can afford it spend it however you like if it doesn't cause you money issues now or in the future.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)