AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1920s
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 1/14/2018 11:13 (#6504230 - in reply to #6504000)
Subject: RE: Like

southern MN
Mom was one of 16, dad was one of 3, both lived on farms and farmed all their life. About the same era. My sister taugh school in Osage for 4 years in the 70s, I go to the big auction there a time or two a year, so even know a bit of your part of the world.

Mom talked about things back home a lot more, dad's stories were about others. Seemed the dEpression didn't affect either family all that heavily, it was a hardship but not dire stuff. Moms side they expanded some at those times. Mom talked of a sister that got married to a 'drifter type' (who ended up sticking around, enjoyed visiting with Harold....) and they would come out to the farm, cut the eyes out of the he potatoes to plant, took the rest of the potato home to boil.

All the boys got some farm land, all the girls got 2 cows when they married off. Mom said some days early on she would go down to the barn and hug the 2 cows, her connection to being back home.....

Prohibition, the little village I was by had 3 to 5 bars, didn't have 100 people. The loose plank on the wood sidewalk where the good stuff was, down the well at the other place, and dad would point 3 different directions from the farm where stills were. With a hard working German population here, didn't sound like prohibition made much difference in lifestyles.

The scrap iron drives and the rubber drives during the war. Ration stamps for goods; but on the farm they weren't such a deal compared to in town you had milk and eggs and all. Dad was popular for a year, as he happened to have a newer car with good tires, he could drive peers around....

Lot of stories. That generation is gone for me now, last aunt passed away last year.

Edited by paul the original 1/14/2018 13:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)