AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cold Temps / cold "1st drink"... planting corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/27/2017 15:41 (#5985813 - in reply to #5984762)
Subject: RE: Cold Temps / cold "1st drink"... planting corn

southern MN
Snow was coating the west and NW sides of trees, round bales, etc this noon yet.

The forecast is colder tonight, and more cold rain on Sunday into Monday, and cold flirting with freezing through Tuesday.

That is whole lot of cold and wet for seed in the ground to deal with.

In my rolling hills, a rainy patch like this will have water push down into the ground on the hills, and very cold water gets pushed up from below in the low spots. Ground 2-3 feet deep is not farm
From the frost coming out of it, as the water bubbles up it carries the cold with it.That keeps the low peat spots - already colder than average from being a low spot - chilled for a longer time and saturated for a longer time. The water table here in spring tends to be above the soil surface... Even with tile, those low spots will saturate this time of year.

Haven't seen sun in several days, no heat to dry or warm anything.

On level fields or lighter soils those who put in corn the past week likely will be ok.

Likely.

But I'm happy with the seed in the bag still.

It was 36 degrees and snow on the trees at 1:00pm today. See water sitting on the surface any little track or dip in the fields.

Just not good sprouting weather.

It will probably be ok for those that planted some.

It's common to replant the low spots middle/end of May anyhow as a heavy rain comes and drowns it out, so lose it to cold planting, or flooding, little difference. The low spots get replanted either way.

I'm happy with the seed in the bag yet for me. Certainly hard to sit and wait, just as it's hard to put the seed out there and wonder if it grows. Everyone on a short fuse.....

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)