AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Struggles in Life
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FamousLee
Posted 4/18/2016 22:05 (#5251001)
Subject: Struggles in Life

Ossian, IN
Do you ever have days or years where you are just tired to dealing with the same junk time and time again. Every year you tell yourself never again, we'll get something different for next year? And then you do get something different, and it turns out to be just the same hassle. Or you buy something new expecting the world, and it is a big disappointment? Maybe a project that you envision to have a superior result, and then the actual result is junk and nothing like planned? Bought some LED lights for the tractors and realize if you put them too high on a silver tractor, they blind you from reflecting off the hood, or light up all the dust and you can't see, or don't have the superior distance and performance as they advertise?

I always wanted a soil finisher, but dad barely spends any money on a field cultivator...so I went out and bought a late model Kongskilde. One pass in the field and I was frustrated and disappointed in the performance...Lesson learned, don't buy soil finisher that has straight disc blades. Luckily, I bought it cheap and was able to make some money and get it sold fairly quick.

Last fall we bought a Kinze 3000 6/12 twin row, and we are just trying to work out the bugs before getting started, but it's just the little things...

Even a lawn mower....I bought a new to me Grasshopper mower a few weeks ago to replace/add to my fleet. My original machine is a 2003 with 1700 hours on it. I love the machine but was getting small and goodness only knows when it'll give out. So I got a bigger 2011 model with only 475 hours on it, and it is so touchy to drive, can barely drive the thing straight. Maybe I'm just not used to it being that it's got 1/4 of the hours, but there goes another $5500 for a machine to sit on the trailer while I prefer to still use the old mower.

I love to farm, even though we aren't very big, and I know I'll continue to do it, it's just frustrating to deal with the same issues yearly. And I'm trying to start a family as well and can't be devoting a whole lot of money for little return. Some days it just seems easier to sell out and just work for some other farm, and get a guaranteed income, but then again, it's not the same personal reward in the end, nor is it the family farm legacy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)