AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lack of transparency in the cattle market
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 1/26/2014 20:10 (#3637988 - in reply to #3636498)
Subject: Re: Lack of transparency in the cattle market

western iowa,by Denison
My average carcass was 843#(1340)# live last week-it was worth $1.40=$1876 to the packer after cutting and processI had 505# saleable # of beef to sell
It cost $533 to butcher and package that beef$1876+$533 cost = $2409 or $4.77# for the wrapped meat(steaks,roast and hamburger)
I,m not good at math but I would say that who ever figured that retail price up isn't comparing apples to apples
I'm still to this day wonder how a packer makes any money-labor,regulations and the paperwork,you know when I ship a load of fats I want that check for my black fat heifers to be good-no different then when I write a check to the cowman for a load of feeders-Would you as a cowman be happy if the check come back insufficient funds from a cattle feeder, because he sold a load of fats to xyz slaughter house that didn't make any money on the beef they processed?
Interesting-I have been on the bottom of not makin money also feeding cattle-and have also owned some stock in a cattle plant that went bankrupt
how do the cowmen stay in business? would a successful cowman be the ones that roll with the averages and can produce that calf to sell?or is every cow that ever produced a calf been a loss-
The world aint a perfect place wither your a cowman,calf backrounder,cattle feeder or a packer-those packers cant control the feedlot any more then anyone else-try motivating hired labor with only wages doesn't work to keep in the game
If you think your being cheated then control that calf from birth to slaughter and sell that meat-you will quickly realize you need over $4 a # to break even ,before a profit
More money is made throwing that meat in a box with a toy -moreso then any packer,feedlot or cowman will ever make!
You can buy Tyson stock-why not buy a share for every calf you sell-I think its tradin at $30 a share
or perhaps go to the juggler and buy McDonalds stock-there markup makes the retail grocery store and packers look like ametuers!
I think there latest special was 2 cheeseburgers in a box for$4 otherwise it was and still is $1.69 for one cheeseburger-I like mine in the paper sac so I save $.62c-When I order two
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)