AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Running over someone's pet./ no speed limit on a rural residential road
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boa628
Posted 5/22/2012 00:58 (#2392597 - in reply to #2391216)
Subject: RE: Running over someone's pet./ no speed limit on a rural residential road

SWOH
We live on a pretty busy state route and people fly by all the time and we often get passed when we're trying to turn left into the driveway with equipment. We know a guy that's pretty high up at the county level so we asked him what we could do about getting a no passing zone put in at the driveway or a sign or something and he said it would pretty much take an act of Congress. I would think getting a speed limit sign or requesting them to set a speed limit that you find acceptable would be about the same. If people could set the speed limits in front of their houses I would think there would be a different speed limit every 300 feet.

Cats don't last long around here. It sucks losing pets that way, and I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you're jumping the gun on assuming the person was speeding. I've hit a few cats and I wasn't speeding and there wasn't any time to react, they were all of a sudden just there. It happens. I've seen dead cats in the road where the speed limit is 25. You say you've never hit anything, someday you'll probably find out how these things can happen. We had one cat that hung around here every now and then that was suicidal or just loved adrenalin rushes because while I'd be mowing grass I would watch him lay in the tall grass in the ditch for several minutes until a car was coming and then he'd run right out in front of it. Always reminded me of that insurance commercial with the squirrels. I never saw him cross the road when there was no traffic, he'd always wait for a car to come along.

I hit a pretty big dog with my truck when I was a teenager and I felt horrible about it and I stopped to make sure it was dead and not suffering (which it was dead when I found it in the ditch) but there wasn't any houses around to tell anybody about it. I knew it was somebody's pet and I felt horrible about it. I saw it coming across the road in front of me in my lane and I slowed down and went into the other lane and the dog got to the ditch and as soon as I was to it, it bolted back across the road right in front of me and I tried to cut back into the other lane and caught it with my left front tire. I wasn't going very fast but it all happened pretty fast. Things happen. Sorry that you lost your pet. I'm not sure I would've stopped and tried to find out whose cat it was if I would've hit it. I don't really expect people to stop and tell me when they get one of ours. I don't see how that would fix the situation, decent or not. If they would've stopped to let you know then you'd just have a face to be mad at. Like somebody else said, it's possible whoever hit it didn't even know they did it.

Speaking of decency, your analogy with the pto was in pretty poor taste. My brother got his arm caught up in a rope used to pull the pin on a silage chopper and got his arm pulled into the pto shaft. The u joint grabbed the rope and sucked his arm in before he knew what happened. Luckily the rope snapped at the same time his arm hit the shield and it just broke the bone in his forearm in two places and didn't wrap him up. Cat getting hit on the road and kid getting wrapped up in a shaft = ridiculous analogy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)