AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DAIRY COWS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

behog
Posted 2/26/2012 14:44 (#2252940 - in reply to #2248494)
Subject: Re: DAIRY COWS

frederick, MD
We are getting the premium now, our scc runs under 150, about half the time under 100. I get a dollar for under 100. We are in western maryland. The sand cost is all trucking. All the dairys down on the eastern shore use sand, because its cheap down there.

Is there really EQUIP money for sand seperations. I looked a dozen sand lanes before I decide to not go to sand. The problem is I would have to pump the manure up to the sand lane, then pump it again to the manure pit. I am gonna still get some sand in my slurrystore then. I love the look of sand bedded cows. We used to use sawdust on mattresses, hock sores almost put us out of bussiness. Then we started using lime and that was to expensive, and settled out in my pit. Then we tried straw. Then we found out that chopped straw with a little bit of lime mixed in it would work pretty good. The lime gives it enough weight that it will stay in the stall for a few days. We bed up twice a week with it. we really should do it every other day, but that is alot of bedding.

We tried bedding retainers on the back of the stall. It worked terriable. Just a pit to hold slop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)