AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I now sympathize with parents of "difficult" children
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Ksbee
Posted 11/16/2015 21:06 (#4900676 - in reply to #4897633)
Subject: RE: I now sympathize with parents of "difficult" children

NE Kansas
Sounds exactly like my son at that age, he's 11 now. My wife stays home with the kids and he just about drove her to having a nervous breakdown. He was our first and I can remember telling people that I'm not sure I understand why people have multiple children.

We read every christian book on strong willed kids, had sleep experts try to help him sleep, tried play groups, the list goes on and on. Finally his preschool teacher recommend we take him to a child psychologist. He worked with him weekly for a few months before he was diagnosed with a spectrum disorder. Asbergers is what describes his behavior although now everything falls under the autism umbrella.
The good news is that he is high functioning. He's brilliant in subjects that he's interested in and doesn't care about anything else.
It's hard seeing him interact with his classmates because he has no personal space, has no volume control and no filter on what comes out of his mouth. He looks normal but kids are noticing that he is different.
The Joshua Center in Kansas City has helped him and us the most. It's a Christian based organization that has occupational and family therapists.
They work with him on things that he's having trouble with and us on understanding what goes on in that head of his so we can be better parents and more effective in disciplining him.
I understand him now and why he acts the way he does. It makes being his dad much easier. Although we still get judged by other parents and relatives when he acts out or says something embarrassing in public, we know that we are doing the best we can do. Our other kids are angels and they practically parent themselves. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to discuss in depth.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)