AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you manage potassium?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 11/26/2014 08:28 (#4202260 - in reply to #4201345)
Subject: RE: How do you manage potassium?

Sanilac Co. Michigan
jbgruver - 11/25/2014 19:57

I've been thinking about potassium quite a bit over the last couple days and am wondering about how Ag Talkers manage potassium.

Answers to any of the following Qs would be of interest to me (and probably many others).

What K sources do you apply and how do you apply? 0-0-60 broadcast

What is the range of K soil test levels for the soils you farm? please include units (e.g., ppm) and method of extraction if you know (e.g. ammonium acetate) Varies widely from 75ppm to 175ppm, but my CEC's are relatively low 5 to 9 typically

How much variability have you noticed in K soil test or tissue test results? Very little

How do you determine what rates of K to apply? e.g., attempt to build up to X ppm or x % saturation try to build and keep at 4 to 5% BS

Have you substantially changed K soil test levels on your farm(s) and have you observed clear benefits from these changes? Yes, and better crops have followed

Do you VRT K products and if so do you have different goals for different soils? Also have your K soil test levels become more uniform? Been grid sampling for the last eight years and VR application. From test to test more uniformity

Have you ever done any on-farm trials of K products, placements or rates? No

How much confidence do you have in your current approach to K management? Pretty good, but I'm always looking for more information and I'm open to other opinions.

Thanks for your time.

Joel
WIU Agriculture
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)