AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you manage potassium?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

FactoryFarmer
Posted 11/25/2014 21:05 (#4201548 - in reply to #4201345)
Subject: RE: How do you manage potassium?

N IL
I'll answer what I can but I'd really need to do some digging to answer all of your questions.

I've been thinking about potassium quite a bit over the last couple days and am wondering about how Ag Talkers manage potassium. 

Answers to any of the following Qs would be of interest to me (and probably many others). 

What K sources do you apply and how do you apply? 

We strictly 0-0-62 which is banded under the row with our Soil Warrior. Since we do two pass zone-till on COC a little more than half is put on in the fall with the remainder in the spring.

How do you determine what rates of K to apply? e.g., attempt to build up to X ppm or x % saturation 

Removal rates + VRA in certain deficent zones for build up.

Have you substantially changed K soil test levels on your farm(s) and have you observed clear benefits from these changes? 

Yes on certain fields which we in very rough shape when we got our hands on them. There used to be a select few farmers who used to have some of our ground who historcally never used much (if any) fertilizer. Obviously, increase crop yields have resulted in higher K values. I really wish I had more data on this but were talking about something that has taken place over the last 10-15 years.

Do you VRT K products and if so do you have different goals for different soils? Also have your K soil test levels become more uniform? 

Yes and yes. We know what certain soil types are capable of and we build them up in such a matter

Have you ever done any on-farm trials of K products, placements or rates? 

No. However in 2015 and beyond we are planning to do more on-farm trials such as this.

How much confidence do you have in your current approach to K management? 

Very confident. I really don't have anything I would changed right at this time.

I apologize for very generic answers but my brain is not functioning at full speed right now. 

Edited by FactoryFarmer 11/25/2014 21:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)