AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you manage potassium?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

winner2011
Posted 11/25/2014 20:46 (#4201481 - in reply to #4201345)
Subject: RE: How do you manage potassium?

Northwest Illinois
I'll start.

I apply KCL vrt right wrong or indifferent. The soil test shared is my home farm that's had loads k applied over the years always KCL. Some of the areas were old cattle lots and have higher levels.

The tissue test is on same farm poor plant good plant both on low organic matter side if field. As you see there is quite a bit of varibilty in the test, but not the k. I'm saying diffence in ither nutrients in the tissue sample are from a nematode issue on the poor plant. These tests are from 2013 and this field had a very impressive field average.

The k levels have changed but not really evened out in my opinion. I don't have an older soil test at home.

The only on farm testing I've done with k is no KCL versus a crop removal spread. No yield advantage.

I'm not confident in my k program.

In my opinion this field needs minimal k and needs concentration on calcium which I have started doing. My retailer hates gypsum and loves dap and KCL. He often questions my decisions of using gypsum or hi cal lime and wants me to use his pelletized products. Maybe time to move on. Maybe a little of track of the original post but thought I'd throw that out there.

Sorry you can't see the tissue tests very well but the blue is k- excessive and what do you think my retailer recommends to spread every year.

Edited by winner2011 11/25/2014 20:58

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (90KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (88KB - 150 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (156KB - 142 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)