AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you manage potassium?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Orfarmer
Posted 11/26/2014 06:20 (#4202029 - in reply to #4201345)
Subject: RE: How do you manage potassium?

Roanoke, IN

My main source is KSO4, minor source is chicken litter. I can get dairy manure on 1 farm so that is the main source for that farm as it is a lot higher in K than the litter.  The KSO4 is banded at planting for corn & soybeans.  Manure is spread preplant.  I also do a little broadcasting KSO4 for low testing soils.

I like to keep 3-4% K so that is about 100 - 300 ppm on my soils on the Midwest Labs test

When acquiring a new farm I have observed excessive K levels from the guys that worshiped at the co-op to severely deficient from guys that don't know what fertilizer is.  After a couple years, I feel it is fairly easy to manage the K level in the soil at 3-4%. I just started tissue testing last year, so I don't have much to go on.  I was running good on K early, but ran low late into the season. Could have been dry weather, or anything else.  I need more years to compare tissue tests.

I have observed drastic yield increases when K changed from 2% to above 3%. 

I do not VRT. I usually do 20-40 acres / sample.

I have not done any K trials.

I am 80% confident in my current program, but am always looking for better or more efficient ways to fertilize.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)