AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic/non-gmo farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 2/9/2014 06:32 (#3674975 - in reply to #3674836)
Subject: Because they feel threatened.

Ben D, N CA - 2/8/2014 20:48 Why do people feel the need to constantly bash organic? If you don't want to do it, don't. There, wasn't that easy? .

People that bash non gmo and organic do so because they feel threatened by things they are not familiar with or do not understand. Likewise, people that bash gmo do so because of faulty media etc. Yet another reason farmers will never, ever, ever have any power in the lobby.

I cant grow gmo because I have no market for such. I tried it and had to ship the product out of state to sell it. Very costly. Next I grew non gmo soybeans and was able to sell them locally. Buyer demanded documentation that they were in fact non gmo, but I was able to obtain enough paperwork to make that happen. This does not make me organic or a gmo basher. It simply means I have to understand my markets and infrastructure.

I support all 3 systems. I am eating cereal right now that has gmo products in it. But I also have a bundle of organic bananas and some other organic products on the shelf.

I find my local grocery stores to have an ever expanding organic and healthy living section. That's what they call it, not my doing. This tells me that organic and alternative forms of growing food is alive and well in my area. Trader Joes is a thriving store with a full parking lot and waiting lines at the check out all the time.

If an organic farmer moved in next to us and bordered our fields, we would make a real effort to work with them on buffer strips etc. We would also be watching and learning from them and thinking about how we can apply some of the new knowledge to what we do.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)