AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic/non-gmo farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 2/9/2014 14:45 (#3676207 - in reply to #3675919)
Subject: Re: Organic/non-gmo farming

Well that study is strictly about health issues, it does not consider many other issues around organic farming, like taste, the environment, more workforce employed, etc.
I would agree that buying organic produce at the store that comes from megafarms located hundreds or thousands of miles away is just as healthy or unhealthy as buying conventional produce, it's the same system. You can compare only what exists in both sides, there are products that I can usually find only or mostly in the organic aisle, like heirloom tomatoes or miso. There are also some specific products that have a much great amount and variety of chemicals on them, like certain fruits or whole grain, which make them more of a health risk if they happen to feature high in your diet. General statistics or studies of studies based on store-bought food like this one cannot tell you what works best for you. The only difference between organic and conventional megafarms is that their fertilizer or pesticide is organic, but the crops are fed the same amount of NPK and other nutrients, they even use the same monoculture varieties of crops like carrots, so it is no wonder that these are nutritionally identical. Organic chicken is also the same fast weight gaining race as conventional. It can even be worse in some cases: I bought twice organic broilers at Trader Joe that had breasts much bigger and drier than regular broilers, tasted like a cross between a chicken and a dry meat lean turkey. I am pretty sure that protein density was much higher in the Trader Joe broiler, but the whole experience did not make it worthwhile, it makes or made (not sure if they still sell it) the worst oven roast chicken.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)