AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic/non-gmo farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 2/9/2014 15:20 (#3676278 - in reply to #3676207)
Subject: Re: Organic/non-gmo farming

southern MN
> Well that study is strictly about health issues, it does not consider many other issues around organic farming, like taste, the environment, more workforce employed, etc.

Chimel, I don't do well debating this issue, see my comment in my message below....

If the study says health issues are about the same....

Taste is pretty much the only real issue organic has going for it from your list? And that is subjective, my circle of friends hates anything with actual taste to it, they want Wonder bread, bland totally processed anything. Horror if an actual vestibule taste should co e through, or a whole grain or something. Me I'd kinda li,e some flavor and texture to come through my food, but I'm an island here! Anyhow, yes that is perhaps the only real reason for organic.

The environment - boy, to feed the mass of people we have on this planet, organic seems the worst way to go? It depends upon picking out choice soils, and importing fish guts, manure, ,Kelp, and rock minerals from other land to enhance what is there - poor to average soils need even more plundering of other lands to make good yields in organic... Then weed control depends on a lot of tillage, which works well on the choice soils but can be a disaster on average to low quality soils. Some rare notill can happen in organic operations, but it is only choice areas, and there are disasters that lose crop.

All together with less options available to I prove yield, to control weeds, to control pests, it would naturally be less efficient and more prone to loses?

We could cut our world population by 2/3 and much easier feed everyone organically, and many organic proponents have told me this. Well fine, but how are we supposed to get there? I don't think I like the possible answers I can think of, and those telling me this never have a way to get to their goal.....

So for what we have, I see organic being much worse for the environment.

Workforce - since labor = cost, if the food you need uses more labor, it would seem one is admitting the organic is less efficient, costs more. Again in our world we have, we don't have a shortage of food, but economics. China has tried the make-work for producing food for their people, and they are one of the biggest importers. It just doesn't work out.

All on all, I am sure glad organic is available for those who want it and can afford the less efficient way.

But your list all but one clearly points to conventional feed and food production being the better generic way to make food for the people we have?

Paul

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)