AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic/non-gmo farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 2/9/2014 20:37 (#3677329 - in reply to #3676914)
Subject: Re: Organic/non-gmo farming

southern MN
Thanks for the reply.

Ethanol or people eating too much really isn't part of the equation in any way here. Those topics have no place in this discussion, when people bring up such they appear to not understand the issue.

It is producing food per acre per man hour.

And it is about the amount of food produced per acre per input.

That really is the only measure of efficiency.

For environment, it has to do with topsoil lost, extra acres needed to make up for loss to weeds and insects, lower yields on poor ground not suited to organic methods, etc.

If organic is a nitche market to people with excess money willing to spend more for what they want, then sure your stuff is all fine to ponder. And its all good. And more power to those with the means to peruse it, both producers and consumers.

If it really is about trying to feed all the people and take care of all the environment as best we can, then I think your issues are non issues and its all about true efficiency, not the 'we think differently so we can make efficiency mean anything we want.'

Anyhow, I appreciate your thoughts and any follow up, if we see things this differently no point in me trying to convert you, we must be looking at very different problems.

One of those problems is that strict organic really is not at all efficient, and that really is pretty obvious?

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)