AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic/non-gmo farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

XIX
Posted 2/8/2014 22:26 (#3674733 - in reply to #3674257)
Subject: Re: Organic/non-gmo farming

hawkfan - 2/8/2014 20:31

XIX - 2/8/2014 14:28

We are organic for two reasons, the premiums and because I don't know if gmo is good for you or not. The powers that be have a long history of proclaiming things safe that turned out not to be so, and I have seen anything in its behavior since then that would persuade me that it has gained either in wisdom, common sense, or humanity.

Really? So Einstein what are we going to do with all the GMO's used in our medical field that have saved countless lives.

Humulin is the brand name for a group of biosynthetic human insulin products, developed by Arthur Riggs, working with Genentech in 1978 (Generic names regular insulin, insulin isophane and the Lente series consisting of Lente (known generically as insulin zinc suspension) is actually a mixture of Ultralente and Semilente) and later acquired by Eli Lilly and Company, the company who arguably facilitated the product's approval with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The Lente series was discontinued by Lilly in 2005. Prior to the development of synthesized human insulin, patients were dependent on animal insulin which was more costly, less accessible, and caused infections in some patients.

Humulin is synthesized in a laboratory strain of Escherichia coli bacteria which has been genetically altered with recombinant DNA to produce biosynthetic human insulin. Humulin R consists of zinc-insulin crystals dissolved in a clear fluid. The synthesized insulin is then combined with other compounds or types of insulin which affect its shelf life and absorption. For example, Humulin N is combined with protamine to extend the time-activity profile of Humulin R for an extended period.

Good for you. You eat what you like and I will eat what I like. Untill you have a constructive comment to add to the conversation instead of bashing organic producers every time the topic is brought up, maybe then we will see progress for agriculture as a whole. It is narrow mindedness like this from both sides of the gmo/nongmo debate that keeps us from moving forward. I don't think that organic is the answer for everyone, but it is for me and my family. When you sir, start putting food on my table and paying my bills, then you can criticize the way I live. I do not judge anyone for the way they farm, If my neighbors choose to plant gmo that is their business, not mine. Welcome to the land of the free, where everyone gets to choose what is right for their operation. Just because I don't drink the Monsanto Kool-ade doesn't mean I fault anyone who does. I'd like the same respect, thank you.

Edited by XIX 2/8/2014 22:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)