AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has the game changed cont........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

davy crockett
Posted 3/24/2024 09:25 (#10677662 - in reply to #10677273)
Subject: RE: Has the game changed cont........

why theres a desire to buy land is no mystery to me, my confusion is where all this cash came from in a business that has 3 years feast and 7 years famine (or breakeven) out of 10. like the turtle atop the fencepost, theres more to the story. saying `i raise and sell corn and beans better than everyone else so i can buy $20,000/a farms for cash` isnt telling the whole story, in my opinion. there has to be off fam income and windfalls from somewhere, cause look at a $20,000 acre, if you could borrow that money for 40 years with zero interest, you would have to make a $500/acre payment every year drought or flood for 40 years and thats the generous assumption that after variable expenses, there would be $500 leftover.

so, ive proved to myself at least that the sole selling of the raw commodities isnt affording this $15,000 to $30,000 land. 3% average of land comes on the market every year, so supply is governed out. i think there has been, inheritances, 1031 sales, farmers selling their family car dealership to concentrate on their farming business and i suppose theres husband and wife each earning $120,000 salary off farm and using the farm as a tax write-off. however, if someone doesnt do homework and jumps in buying a $25,000/a farm thinking corn & bean sales will cashflow it, they are in for a rude awakening. whole alotta elven magic out there and if you dont have the side hustles, it wont work. my 2ยข
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)