AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lightning strike?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

CropGrower18
Posted 5/2/2021 10:57 (#8983157 - in reply to #8982339)
Subject: RE: Lightning strike?

NE Indiana
Wife and I had just finished eating supper and walked into the living room to sit down. It had been storming pretty good, but nothing out of the ordinary. All the sudden it felt like a bomb went off followed by the sound and a huge flash in our kitchen.
Lightning had hit a big maple tree about 15 feet from the house. The lightning went down thru the tree and into the galvanized water line that runs about 10 feet from the tree bringing water to the house from the well. I’m not sure exactly where exactly the blast ended up, but it blew up our kitchen sink. The doors below were blown wide open and the false panel above where other cabinets have drawers was blown half off the cabinet. The faucet itself was rattled loose from the sink.
Power instantly went out. Fried our TV, 3 ceiling fans, garage door opener, and randomly blew a chunk of concrete out of the garage floor where a pipe touches it.
I thought for sure the house was going to burn down. Spent the next 3-4 hours using flashlights and our noses to check for smoke and flames. There was a slight burnt smell after it happened, but it faded as time went.
The blast had blown the big fuse at the transformer that bring power to the farm.
We were both pretty shook up from that.
Amazingly the tree survived and only lost one limb.
Oh, and my wife was about 4 months pregnant with our oldest child at the time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)