AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lightning strike?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 5/2/2021 06:39 (#8982753 - in reply to #8982339)
Subject: RE: Lightning strike?

East of Broken Bow
smoking4020 - 5/1/2021 20:32

Had a thunderstorm roll through my area and it got me wondering if anyone has been working in the field and have their tractor get hit by lightning or have lightning hit near them? Just wondering if it is deadly or is that an old wives tale ?
My neighbor had his tractor that was parked in his yard get hit and it welded the gears together in the transmission and rear end.

Had an old guy who used to work in our neighborhood who says he was either struck, or nearly struck by lightning when he was younger. Can't remember, other than he felt the tingle, saw a flash, and heard a bang. Apparently he blacked out, and woke up feeling a bit dazed, with no idea how long he was 'out'.
Said from that point on, he had zero feeling of electricity. He was an old guy, tight with money, and wouldn't put gates on electric fences. Since he couldn't 'feel' the electricity, he'd just twist and untwist the gate off the hot wire, instead of using a gate handle. Scared the pi** out of me once, following him. He opened the gate, went through, then shut it. I was following him, and assumed the wire was 'dead'. Before he could holler not to touch the wire, I grabbed it, and about wet my pants. That's when he told me the story.
He was kind of fun to be around sometimes, he'd test an electric fence by putting his finger near it, and listening for how lout the 'pop' was (the way anyone else would use the head of a hammer, or shank of a screwdriver). Would stand there, as the fence went pop, pop, pop, to his finger, not flinching a bit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)