AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lightning strike?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

davpal
Posted 5/2/2021 00:12 (#8982650 - in reply to #8982339)
Subject: RE: Lightning strike?

Mid Michigan
Not a lightning strike but had a close encounter with a tornado. I was back checking a field and I knew the weather was getting sketchy but I ignored it and walked way back to the back of a field and realized it had gotten really bad really fast. Sky was turning green and the thunder and lightning was booming with the wind picking up. I had no chance of getting back to the pickup so I hauled #ss for the deer hunting shack back in the swamp. It sits below most ground level in a swamp protected on the north, south and west sides and has remained intact since about 1970 so I figured it had stood in some bad storms and was my best chance at shelter. I almost bolted out of it and headed for a ditch with a dike on it with canary grass. I was going to get under the canary grass! I watched the woods to the south of me look like a blowing spinning nightmare of carnage but it never came north far enough to hit me. Just grazed the shack but missed it. I found out later a tornado had gone south of me 1/4 mile and was on the ground to the west for several miles, picked up and headed north about 5 miles and touched back down again and did more destruction. A bunch of my friends were caught by it at an open house they were having for a graduating senior that day. All we ended up with was a large cottonwood tree blown down in my field. Were very lucky it was 1/4 mile south of us.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)