AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How Tillage and Crop Residue Affect Irrigation Requirements
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 9/20/2020 22:24 (#8506966 - in reply to #8506903)
Subject: RE: Wicking

Colby, Kansas
Yes, it's just as you guys describe, the concept of a dust mulch, to break the paths for capillary flow. But, we also need to remember that's a two edged sword, those same pathways also contribute to improved infiltration when we get precipitation.

On the "occasional tillage" study. Early on in the study, 1-2 use of the sweeps in the rotation (ahead of drilling wheat) did not show a detriment. At the same time from our long term (est. 1991) studies at Tribune we know that a full reduced-till system has a huge negative impact on all phases of the rotation compared to no-till, e.g. we see significant reduction of sorghum yields in a wheat-sorghum-fallow rotation, even though all the tillage is ahead of the wheat. it will be interesting what this fall brings, this summer's wheat started to show a potential hit from the occasional tillage. This would not surprise me, it took several years before the benefits of no-till became apparent, no reason to believe it might not take several years to reverse it.

Here is an approx. 1 minute video I did the other day on the long-term tillage study. This year marks the 30th sorghum crop off of it. I hope we can find a way to keep these long-term studies going.

https://twitter.com/LucasAHaag/status/1302053007241228289?s=20

Lucas

Edited by LHaag 9/20/2020 22:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)