AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How Tillage and Crop Residue Affect Irrigation Requirements
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 9/20/2020 09:47 (#8505692 - in reply to #8503951)
Subject: RE: How Tillage and Crop Residue Affect Irrigation Requirements

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

We are looking at running a rolling stalk chopper over all our previous corn ground in the spring again, even in the no till stuff. We did it this year to smooth out some cattle tracks with the harrow on it, and that corn has looked really good, especially after we got basically no measurable rain in August, 2nd dryest in my area in 128 years. Neighbors that tilled or baled the stalks off, their dryland stuff really suffered and they watered more than we did. We had a nice thick even layer of mulch on the ground. 

I know the rolling chopper is a gamble, if we get a wind right after we chop we might get some blowing, but I think if we watch the weather a little and are flexible about when we run it, we should be ok. The harrow leaves a nice even layer of mulch instead of the clumps we sometimes get after winter and grazing. We also dont have a chopper head and tend to run it as high as possible to catch as much snow as possible. We also think it will help incorporate the dry 11-52-0 and little bit of urea we spread as well. 

Biggest thing is we need to have a good set of floating row cleaners, which we have but are planning on adding a clean sweep type system on the planter for next spring, and use the cleaners sort of like strip till, making sure we clean all of the strip, even if it means moving just a small amount of dirt as well. Next spring I want to split a field and see if makes any difference before we go hog wild with it.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)