AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Remodel or Build new
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

CMCC
Posted 8/2/2020 19:38 (#8411492 - in reply to #8409133)
Subject: RE: Remodel or Build new

West Central Indiana
I bought an old house in 2002 that sat on a farm we rented. It was on a nasty crawl space and didn't have electric in several of the rooms. What got me in trouble was it was the middle of the LDP years, newly married with college loans and equipment loans. I had a guy helping me at the time that was a great handy man. I thought I would save all kinds of money but I didn't. When it came time to do the bathrooms and kitchen......I ended up chain sawing the west half of the house off from the east half that had been remodeled 3 years prior.

As soon as I got my house finished in 2007 the neighbors house burned down and they had a brand new brick one constructed. I asked him how much it set him back. I'm still sick to my stomach because he didn't spend very much more on the new one than I did on mine over 5 years.

I loved my location so thought I had to save the house. Best advice I got during the whole ordeal....but didn't take was "Build a new one....even in stages if you have to right behind your existing one and tear it down."

For me and my situation I wish that is what I would have done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)