AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers diet question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

martin
Posted 5/11/2020 18:51 (#8250510 - in reply to #8250126)
Subject: RE: Farmers diet question

Pay attention to what John has been posting.  I think there is something to what he has been posting.

I do some of what John has been posting. I just an choosing to not go "all in". 

1) I think the fruit in your diet is hurting your blood glucose more than you realize.  Try to limit fruit intake.

2) You say you cut out "most soda".  Go all the way.  Cut out all soda.  There is no redeeming value in drinking soda. 

3) Get more fat into your diet. Especially on those days where you expect to be burning lots of calories.  A good way would be to include bacon in your meals on those days where you are more active.  Pork chops with fat on, or beef with fat would also be good choices.  The fat will help with appetite control in the day.

4) I've started making gravy and including it with my meals. I use turkey broth, butter and whole wheat flour.  The whole wheat flour is a negative, but I think it is offset by the butter and turkey broth.  Adding 1-2 Tablespoons gravy to my eggs in the morning really helps with appetite suppression.  You can also add 1-2 Tbsp gravy to your meat choice at other meals as well.

5) Include a salad with your meals.  On those days where you are not burning lots of calories, eating a salad will help keep you full, without adding lots of calories.  When I say "Salad", I am talking about things like cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower.  I also include some carrots; realize that carrots have more carbs than do the other salad items I mentioned.

6) While talking about salads, consider making your own dressing.  Store-bought salad dressings have too much sugar in them.  Look for salad dressings that you can make yourself - and store in your refrigerator.

7) Seriously consider purchasing a glucose meter - if you don't have one already - and monitor your own blood glucose levels.  If-when- you purchase a glucose meter, pay attention to the price of the test strips. The real cost in purchasing a glucose meter is not in the meter itself, but in the test strips - which you need to resupply.  I have a CVS brand meter. It works fine, and the cost of test strips is reasonable.  My doctor suggests I test before I eat, or 2 hours after I eat.  Ask your doctor for guidance on when to test your blood glucose levels, and what target levels she would like to see you at.

I have a spreadsheet on my computer where I track my weight as well as my blood glucose levels.  If you are comfortable, consider doing something similar.  You want to be able to track these numbers.  More importantly, if you can, you want to be able to note what causes your blood glucose to be higher than normal, or lower than normal.   That should help you to know how to manage your personal nutrition.

I understand your comment about your doctor not including "work" as exercise.  My doctor doesn't count it either. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)