AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers diet question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/11/2020 15:25 (#8250237 - in reply to #8250126)
Subject: Here is the way I would do it - wait! I did do it this way!

Pittsburg, Kansas

If you go back a number of pages here on Kitchen Talk when I started posting on the subject I have provided probably a hundred or more links to informative video's on the subject. Looks like it is back on page 16 now. You can skip through the pages and look for the threads as there are a lot of posters who added to the subject with good information. My later more recent posts have been more on the technical aspect more than the basics more like when I was learning about the subject. Here is the thread where a lot of it started, now on page 16. The second post in the thread relates my experience to that date.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=873743&mid=7696401#M7696401

I'm 6'2" also and started out on my journey at about 270-275. I'm now 170-175. About 210-220 was my target weight as I thought I would be pretty good there. As I started losing it just kept coming off till I hit 165 at my very lowest. My body seemed to be happy there and has settled in at around 170 for a number of months now. I'm basically at my 19 year old weight now and I'm 66. Feeling better than I have in 15-20 years.

If you go low carb it will take some time to get "fat adapted". That is early on when your body is used to using mostly glucose for energy. It takes it a while to become adapted to converting your stored fat into energy efficiently. This goes double if you are insulin resistant, and what you say about your blood sugar levels you most definitely are insulin resistant. It generally takes 2-3 weeks to get initially fat adapted and more like 3-6 months to become fully adapted to primarily burning fat instead of primarily glucose. Insulin resistant people can take even longer. But a lot of insulin resistance will correct within the first week or two. I went from using 100 units of insulin to 50 in the first week and to zero in week two. Until you get fat adapted you may have periods that you feel weak or faint if you are doing heavy work. It will pass. Get used to having snacks that are fat/protein instead of carbs. Have some no sugar added meat or cheese sticks instead of a bag of chips.

If you have borderline high sugar you are pre-diabetic whether your doctor does not want to freak you out with the pre- "D" word or not.

Eat all you want, just eat the right stuff. Start out with three meals a day with no snacks in between if you can. If you can't don't make the snacks carb snacks. Over a few weeks you will find your apetite is under control if you are eating enough fat and protein and staying away from the carbs. Carbs make you hungry a few hours later. Fat and protein satiates and keeps you from being hungry. For my wife and we found out after becoming fat adapted we were not really hungry for breakfast so we just skip it. If you get to the point you can skip breakfast that gives you about a 16 hour fast which will do wonders for your health. But don't worry about it early on. Eat when you are hungry but try to make it no more than 3 meals a day. Eat plenty and don't worry about calories. Just make sure you get enough. Hormonal change is what will cause you to lose weight (lowering insulin levels). The calories will take care of themselves once you get your hunger under control. Hormones (ghrelin among others) controls that too. Don't short change yourself on food. Just eat the right things.

If you do the diet like you should you will not need to exercise to lose weight. Exercise is very good for a person but it is not required. Wife did little exercise other than normal activity and lost 60#.. She actually does a little exercise and walking now, but that is because she actually feels like it with the weight off. I did not do anything special exercise wise to lose 100#. The "eat less and move more" mantra does not account for hormonal changes being the most important part of weight loss. You have to get the insulin levels low to lose weight, exercise or not. The way to lower insulin is limit carbs because carbs are what raises insulin.

Many people claim they have a lot better mental clarity when they are in ketosis and the brain has ketones for fuel. The brain uses ketones preferentially for fuel over glucose if ketones are in the bloodstream. To get ketones in the blood stream for non-insulin resistant people keeping carbs under 50 for most will do the trick. For insulin resistant people it is more like 20-30 grams carbs per day. Wife and I counted carbs on foods till we got a good idea of what foods and size portions were. A month in we did not worry about it as we had a good handle on it and knew which foods to avoid or very severely limit portion size. To stay under 20 grams carbs basically green vegetables that grow above ground with a few others. Lots of on line places give the carbs for various foods.

Confused is not good. I just provided a link to ketones and Alzheimer's a few posts back. Good to watch. It is a presentation about how the brain is fueled and how as we age the brain can become fuel deficient if a person has insulin resistance. it applies to a lot of dementia and brain fog, not just Alzheimer's.

Get enough fat in the diet. Eat fatty meat. Avoid lean meat like skinless chicken breasts. Eat chicken with the skin on. Fatty steaks and roasts. Bacon and fatty hamburger are a staple in our house. Protein make very poor energy because the body has a lot of processing to get it into glucose (the body can make all the glucose it needs via the liver in a process called gluconeogenesis even eating zero carbs - carbs are not an essential food, fats and proteins are). Protein is primarily a building block but can be used by the body for energy if needed but will always use carbs and fat preferentially. Fat and carbohydrates are the two primary energy suppliers. On a low carb/ketogenic diet a person is transitioning the body to burn mostly fat rather than glucose from carbohydrates. It takes a few weeks for it to learn to do that, especially if a person is insulin resistant and has been eating carbs throughout the day for many years. Low blood sugar comes from a glycemic rebound from eating carbs. Insulin spikes high and results in driving blood sugar slightly low making a person very hungry. Once a person is off the carb teeter totter and fueled mostly by fat that problem will go away. The sugar "highs" and crashes are gone. Unless you go off the rails and gorge on doughnuts or something. Then you will feel it in spades. But it is not a "dangerous" low. It will pass fairly quickly. It usually causes people to grab another carby snack and start the roller coaster ride over so it happens again.

It takes an adaptation period, but once you are there the hunger will be under control and the energy crashes will go away.

This is not medical advice. See your health care professional if you want medical advice. When I say "you" I actually am explaining my own experience and is not actually a recommendation for you. Do your own due diligence.

I suggest you listen to all the "Ivor Cummins" videos you have time for. Involve your wife. If you do it together it is SOOOO much easier if you are both on the same page. His Low Carb Down Under presentations are priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ivor+cummins+low+carb+down+under

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ivor+cummins

Watch all the "Low Carb Down Under" presentations you have time for. They will give you leads to which doctors you appreciate and want to further listen to. The search function for their names is all you need.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=low+carb+down+under

I have found very little bad advice from Dr Ken Berry.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+ken+berry

Dr Eric Westman is a little less strict than some but has been doing keto diets in his clinic for over a dozen years and utilizing it in his practice for 20 or more.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+eric+westman+keto+made+simple

Don't let it overwhelm you. Just start watching an hour of video's a night with your wife. Replace an hour of worthless TV and devote it to your health and well being. Do that and in a year you will know more than I do about the subject. Start out with Ivor Cummins and the Low Carb Down under videos. Pick the presentations over the interview style as they have more concentrated information. Then you can delve into the interviews if you find them interesting as you have time.

16 pages with diet related threads of various discussions here on Ktichen Talk with lots of links. Browse back through them as you have time and look at the ones that look interesting. I try to put titles in my posts that describe what is being talked about.

Wife has dieted on and off for years. Weight Watchers, etc. Short term results then rebound weight gain. This is the first "diet" that has worked for her. This is more of a lifestyle than a diet. It is a change in the way a person thinks about food. It is a learning curve about discovering how the body is fueled. Once that is understood, the pieces all fall into place of why it works for both health and weight control. It is definitely NOT about starving yourself or going hungry. Forget about counting calories. No other animal species on the planet counts calories. They just eat the food nature intended for them to eat and that they evolved eating. Our bodies are fully capable of maintaining correct weight if we give it the food it is designed to operate on. If we want to fatten pigs we give them carbs. If you want to fatten people, feed them carbs. Pretty much as simple as that.

Carolynn and I set out to lose weight and instead became healthy. The weight came off because we got healthy. Eat to become healthy and the weight will come off naturally.

John

Edited by John Burns 5/11/2020 15:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)