AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fasting, great way to pass out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

turbo diesal
Posted 3/12/2020 06:09 (#8097886 - in reply to #8096025)
Subject: RE: hypoglycemic rebound

I have sat on the sidelines for a while and glanced at all the low carb discussion but feel like people reading this need another perspective before trying it. Specifically from someone who has done all this stuff but can see the whole picture and not get sucked into one viewpoint.I have had hypoglycemic triggered migraines since age 4 and have fixed the problem without going on a radical no carb diet.

Here is the thing though everyone should keep in mind though. Going without carbs can make some people feel great at first but then cause them to crash and burn later on. The thyroid hormones can become suppressed as well as sex hormones and other metabolic functions slowing the metabolism in the long run, sometimes permanently. Another critical thing that happens is a alteration of gut bacteria. Many species of gut bacteria need carbohydrates to survive and going months or years without carbs can cause these to be lost completely. We are met to eat carbohydrates, are ancestors have for thousands of years especially are recent ancestors. What they did not have was unlimited access to refined sugar and grains like we do now which changes how the body digests and uses carbohydrates. A loaf of bread 500 years ago is not what it is do today at all. The modern milling process grind grains so fine that bread becomes like sugar in are body instead of a complex carbohydrate like it used to be. There are other important changes as well but milling is a big one and simple to explain so I will leave it at that.

Some people can benefit greatly from a low carbohydrate diet such as diabetics and pre diabetics. Ill even say that fasting can help people with auto immune conditions or conditions when the immune system flares up because it doesn't like something in the diet and can have benefits if done properly. Yes its also true that the body will adapt and if you get a headache or feel like you are passing out from missing a meal you should do something to fix that because someone like that is probably eating to much carbs and sugar. So for everyone this works great for I'm happy it does and I do not discount your results.

Going on a diet like these gurus suggest of no carbs is likely better for a lot of people that are eating a crap diet to begin with but just because its a better choice doesn't make it the best choice. What I have found works best for me is to eat a breakfast full of protein and some heatlhy fat. Then have a meal with either lunch or dinner but preferably not both that contains some healthy carbs like some fruit or oatmeal. Even some processed carbs are not the end of the world if it is limited like the bun on hamburger or something. Restricting the time frame seems to help so I'm not getting constant insulin spikes and blood sugar crashes. For example maybe eating carbs for one meal a day only or a 2-3 hour period. Even a 6 hour window is better then a all day every meal carbfest though. This is just me though everyone is different though.

Find what works best for you, if you are diabetic that has ate horrible for life and zero carb helps you great. Helping people is great you probably have helped a lot but saying everyone should do this diet that wants to be healthy and humans do not need carbohydrates is not a good recommendations for the majority of people.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)