AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle newbie, breeds, fencing, strip grazing, soil health ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Turbodog
Posted 1/13/2019 15:48 (#7242660 - in reply to #7242146)
Subject: RE: Cattle newbie, breeds, fencing, strip grazing, soil health ???

Hale Center, Texas

I did things backwards.  It's probably a good idea to figure out what you are going to do about corrals and water before you buy the cows.  In my neck of the woods angus, mostly black but some red rule the roost.  It's because we get more from them in the market but that might not apply to you if you do direct marketing.  I considered direct marketing but I'm kind of old and lazy.   With farming 1,000 acres time is gonna be a problem.  

Having a living animal on the place there are times you must stop what you are doing and tend to their needs, convenient or not. 

I have some 5 strand barbed wire but to hire it put in is around $9-10k per mile.   On some of mine I have the outside fenced with 2 strands of 14 guage electric wire and run 6 to 7 thousand volts in them.  About every 30 feet or so we have 1/2 inch rebar with insulators on them.  If you train the cattle to electricity ....... I'd just say I have very little problem keeping them in.  

I don't know how much rainfall you get but 60 acres may not go too far in the summer months.  Those 1,000 to 1,200 pound Mommas eat a good bit! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)