AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle newbie, breeds, fencing, strip grazing, soil health ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 1/13/2019 15:14 (#7242596 - in reply to #7242359)
Subject: RE: Cattle newbie, breeds, fencing, strip grazing, soil health ???

NEMO
Before you have a cow,,,you better kinda figure out if a cow, or calves, is even for you. I had a neighbor come help me move a big set of fall pairs before this storm, he's a GOOD cow man. We both have 50+ years of fooling with cattle. Some people don't live long enough to ever get a grasp of cattle. We got done and complimented each other on our cattle skills and how much we are STILL learning. Not to sound smart, but I wouldn't dream of starting this endeavor without bullet proof fences, and that don't mean poly,and I use a lot of hot wire. I don't care how many books you've read or how much theory people have thrown at you, when the cattle get out,,,they will, you're really gonna get an education. When I said go slow that meant like 5-10, not 50-100. Better figure out if you can kinda think like a cow before you start. Someone above said you may have enough irons in the fire, I think that's way closer to right than wrong. You have to have a passion for cattle, otherwise they will frustrate you. Hope that's not too blunt, but I just can see a lot of guys blowing a fuse when the cattle cause problems. Oh,one last thought, does your wife like cattle? Because while you're farming, she'll be your go to guy. And if you tend to cuss and loose your temper, watch out when you're trying to catch that sick calf, or put the cows back in that hot wire that bit them in the a** on the way out. I've had momma go back to the house more than once when she didn't exactly move as quickly as she should of, see how supper works after that

Edited by oldtiger 1/13/2019 15:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)