AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hooked on auto steer...need suggestions with next purchase!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

rollig
Posted 11/18/2008 01:29 (#509732 - in reply to #509005)
Subject: Re: Hooked on auto steer...need suggestions with next purchase!

SCMN
Good greief fellas, get off the whol pay for itself in fuel thing. It's gonna save fuel for sure. Even at a 2 foot overlap on a 35 foot implement that's almost 6%. Take your fuel used and subtract 6% and there ya go. With a big thirsty tractor going over alot of acres it will add up. How about with a 1 foot overlap on our chisle plow that's 17.5 feet wide, that's almost 6% again and that requires alot more passes to cover the ground.

I think the biggest benefit is being able to really pay attention to what's going on around you rather than try to steer straight. And you are noticably less fatigued when you use it. Well maybe not cause I find myself just working longer to make up for that but damn it's nice.

It sounds like the consensus of the group is to get integrated and use a higher accuracy signal for planting in 30" rows. I know guys using SF1 to plant in 30" rows and they say that you will have to nudge it once in awhile but I can live with that. I will still have markers for backup so it should be real easy to tell when it shifts. I don't need sub-inch accuracy with it.

I would also entertain the idea of putting it in the combine for harvesting beans at an angle. That would be the best thing in the world on those nights when the dust is so bad you cant see the platform. Row sense would be nice too but I can't afford to buy all these wonderful gadgets. We have a 9500 right now but will most likely trade up next year so I will probably want to integrate yield mapping at some point. The possibilities seem so endless with this stuff...I love it!

Thanks for the input and keep it coming guys!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)