AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody here consider themselves in the stocker/backgrounder business?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 4/21/2017 12:31 (#5975336)
Subject: Anybody here consider themselves in the stocker/backgrounder business?

N FLA
I have been reading the Garvo thread and then was in the archives on a 2013 runningihred thread about sickness from barn calves.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=437779&Display...

I was just curious as I read alot here. I know Jed buys 4 and 5 weights and sells them a couple months later. Direct injected mentions feeding calves seasonally. HowdyJabo may still sell large groups of preconditioned calves. I guess we lost MAcattle on this.

After that I just don't ever see much from stocker type operators. Actually seems more common with the Holstein feeders. I guess that make sense as they aren't weaning 600# calves.

Seems like it always comes up. Buy big groups from out west, when we get into these problems. Nobody ever really mentions buy big groups of preconditioned calves from a stocker operator. Is that segment nearly nonexistent? It doesn't seem very well represented here on NAT compared to cow calf and farmer feeders.

We debate if a cow calf guy can afford to precondition, and I know there isn't much meat on the bone to buy calves and hold them 60 to 90 days. So just curious if any NAT guys consider themselves stocker operators and what you tend to do as far as seasonal or length of time, how you buy and market, etc.

Edited by puff33m 4/21/2017 12:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)