AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody here consider themselves in the stocker/backgrounder business?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 4/21/2017 23:18 (#5976206 - in reply to #5976116)
Subject: RE: Anybody here consider themselves in the stocker/backgrounder business?

Beresford, SD
You operate as my grandfather did (retired order buyer..could never pass up a deal!), Custom fed for him when I got my start. High school neighbor was helping me then......grandpa showed up on Friday afternoon (saleday) and unloaded his purchases.....I frowned and said what is this....grandpa said "Columbus took a chance". High school neighbor kid immediately replied to gramps. NOT Every Friday! We all laughed! Been almost 20 years and that afternoon will never be forgotten!

The best Friday was when gramps came home with 30 head of agey 1100# Holstein bulls with horns.......banded the balls and saws-Alled the horns..... put on hot ration as fast as possible......those 30 head made more than I made at my day job in 3 months. The market worked in his favor as well as a serious upgrade. Feeding for grandpa and keeping him in the barns.....I know it kept him young and going at least a couple more years. We finally forced him to park his stock truck (its only brake was its hand brake) when it threw a rod threw the block! Those were the good old days!

Edited by carlsoncl 4/21/2017 23:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)