AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finishing Barns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Livestock_ohio
Posted 5/31/2013 12:02 (#3129339 - in reply to #3127391)
Subject: Re: Finishing Barns

Central Ohio
CS 307,

My wife's family farms anywhere from 1500 - 2000 acres. We have fluctuated over the years due to higher rents and $7 corn makes everyone want to be a crop farmer. I plan on working with them to use the manure to the fullest. I help them out and i believe i would have no problem getting a group of 10 people together at a moment’s notice. We live in a smaller community and neighbors sill help neighbors. With all due respect, just like the Amish, if you have a meal prepared, you have a work force. Like i said before, i am looking to put the unit in and have it pay for itself as fast as possible. I have a job off the farm but i'm one of those crazy guys that wants back in farming for the lifestyle not fame and fortune, lol. If i could build it up then i would have more funds and equity to move forward. I love the livestock side of farming so if i could get a feed lot for calves put together i would be pretty happy too. The contract finishing unit seems like the easiest starting point because of the relationship with the integrator reduces the risk and you have contracted revenues (yes i know there are risks involved with it as well). Once my barn is paid for, i plan on using it to fund the future plans. Till then i guess i can push paper 40 hours a week as i work toward working on the farm full time. With the high cost of health insurance, i don't plan on leaving that job till my kids are a little older anyway. I sure don't want to start that conversation with a group of farmers anytime soon though.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)