AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to buy ground?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 7/10/2012 08:44 (#2477075 - in reply to #2476807)
Subject: Re: How to buy ground?

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge
I have to agree with most of the other posters, owning land will likely allow you to buy machinery someday, but the opposite is not true.
"Here", owning land has meant sacrificing nearly every other expense, Old equipment, running way beyond its useful life or capacity, lots of fixing and modifying, and long days. Plus livestock, and outside income when possible. I fail to see why custom work necessitates a new tractor, the end result is the same regardless of what is pulling the implement, it can't tell, and neither can the ground underneath. I have a neighbor who disagrees with me about that( actually most of them do), but then, he just sold his farm and late modeled equipment to take a job elsewhere.
I've never been able to see where doing custom work to pay for equipment made sense anyways, your busiest seasons will also be the busiest seasons for the equipment. And it's a treadmill of needing lots of work to pay for the equipment to wear it out faster to need to spend more to repair and upgrade, to needing more work to pay for itself.........Being in Wyoming, there must be plenty of good paying oilfeild jobs that don't interfere with farming seasons, while putting a lot more back in your pocket than depreciating shiny equipment would. Of course, its not nearly as fun. I put priorities the other way around. First own the ground, second improve the ground, third inputs, and way out at last place, some equipment to drag around the ground.

All that, plus accept that land will always be unaffordable at the time, and almost always be a good investment in hindsight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)