AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Corn Experiment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lariot
Posted 6/6/2007 23:52 (#159438 - in reply to #159132)
Subject: RE: Twin Row Corn Experiment

SW Mn
I was actually using dry placed 2x2. I think I would go with a half rate of liquid in the row if I went to twin rows just because it would be easier. I don't know that the double rate of starter was adding that much to the yield. While we usually get a good response from starter I think its a case of a little is good but a lot is not necessarily better. In fact in 2006 in a plot in a different location we actually got a slightly negative response from starter. Probably not a significant difference or just due to variability.
I did the twin row test because I was looking at going to 20" corn. I thought short of having someone come and plant and harvest some 20" corn for me for a plot the twin row test would at least give me a idea of the potential. I tried doubling back and planting 18" corn once but I had to much loss at the head when combining to get a good comparison, probably some compaction issues to from doubling back and planting next to the wheel tracks.
I don't know where I'll end up. Not sure yet what my operation can justify and wether I'll make the leep to "strip till".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)