AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Corn Experiment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

inotill
Posted 6/6/2007 16:34 (#159181 - in reply to #159174)
Subject: Re: Twin Row Corn Experiment

Harlan, KY
IL_no_till - 6/6/2007 16:25

I will cast my vote in support of different populations. While in this case, given enough time and space, it would be an interesting test to compare the same population as well as different populations, but I don't think it was meant to be that extensive.

I don't understand why different population is such a problem. No one would recommend planting the same population in 30" beans compared to 15" or drilled. Each row width works better with a different population. For the most complete test, you could test all 3 row widths with 100k, 120k, 140k, 160k, 180k given the time and space. I still say each row spacings best performance will be at a different population.

In theory, part of the yield advantage to twin rows in my feeble little brain is the ability to increase population with out crowding, thus the higher population "test".

JMHO

I will disagree with that was well. I would LOVE to see a soybean population test done at similar pops for all three row spacings! And given similar stands at harvest, would you not expect the narrower spacing to win out every time? I would.......

Higher population most likely would be used eventually, but you are not to that point yet in refining those numbers accross the entire farm without testing ONLY the row spacing first IMO
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)