AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Corn Experiment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

inotill
Posted 6/6/2007 17:20 (#159190 - in reply to #159183)
Subject: Re: Twin Row Corn Experiment

Harlan, KY
IL_no_till - 6/6/2007 16:48

No. I would not expect narrower to win. Not here.

However, it may not be a "fair" and "scientific" test either, as the 8 inch rows were planted with a drill and the 15" rows were planted with a split row planter. Part of the yield increase in 15's could be attributed to the planters ability to more accurately place the seed.

Dang these tests are hard when it comes to isolating what caused the difference!!!

U of I did some row width testing. Different years produced different "best" row widths. 15's average YOY were better "for them".

If we looked long enough I think we could all find a test somewhere to prove something out either way.

Great exchange of ideas here. Hope no opinions expressed are taken the wrong way. I find the entire discussion very thought provoking.

Sure hope I have a good weather window for planting next year. Going to have to start plotting out where to put the test plots!!!!

Tossing out your "seed placement accuracy" between 15" and 7.5" equipment, why not? Why wouldnt you expect the narrower row spacing to be better in the end? Negating any kind of diesease pressure or fungal attack do to thicker canopy, why would allowing more room between plants (same populations mind you) make for worse yields? Is that what you are getting at?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)