AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Corn Experiment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 6/6/2007 13:45 (#159130 - in reply to #159055)
Subject: Re: Twin Row Corn Experiment

Colby, Kansas
Dan,

I think the interpretation concern here is, if it yields better is it because of the twin row spacing or because it was planted thicker,,, with the way its setup you can't say if the yield increase was one or the other. So if it yields/net returns more, than is your course of action going to be increase your seeding rate or buy a twin row seeder. I think that decision is different enough in magnitude that I would want to know which case it is.

I guess I have a different way of thinking on the strip-till vs. no-till example as well. If its a benefit to strip till because of soil temp and emergence then fine, let the plots show it because they were planted on the same day. Best scenario would be to plant a comparison early and one late (with replication of course). The problem of one comparison with different planting dates is you don't know if you have a strip-till vs no-till study, a date of planting study, or if it rains at the right/wrong time, a stress vs. yield study.

I guess my point and what Jim was saying as well is that throwing more than one variable into the mix without a designed experiment leaves you with nothing to draw conclusions from.

By no means am I downtrodding your test plot, I think more on-farm research needs to be done and believe me I realize the work thats involved sometimes, but people need to realize the limitations when less than optimal plot designs are used.

Best Regards,

Lucas

Edited by LHaag 6/6/2007 13:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)