AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pop-Fertilizer Placement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jon S
Posted 3/10/2010 06:19 (#1113403 - in reply to #1113337)
Subject: Re: Pop-Fertilizer Placement

Yes, the lower the soil nutrient level, the better the plant response will be from any type/ amount of nutrient applied. I still would be trying to get some poultry manure, even for this year. If that's not possible, maybe you should increase the broadcast some. What about pH? I assume that's okay.

Where I take issue with liquid starter, is the type and cost for the value it delivers. Straight 10-34-0 will be the best bang for the buck. The white acid (ortho) products are just way too expensive per the same amount of plant food. If your not getting the job done with 80 lbs P&K dry broadcast, I fail to see where 7.5 to 9 lbs of liquid P&K would be of any help. And, it's all the same plant food to the plant, contrary to what many have tried to claim. It's also not going to be possible or wise to apply the amount of potash you need in furrow, or close to the furrow. Just broadcast the potash.

So, here's what I would do. Keep the broadcast program. Deliver somewhere around 5 gallons of 10-34-0 in furrow (that's 17 lbs of P per acre). Get some manure so you can start building fertility. It will take a multi-year effort to really start to see benefits.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)