AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

surge protector vs. the refrigerator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

sand85
Posted 7/20/2021 22:31 (#9120913 - in reply to #9120772)
Subject: RE: surge protector vs. the refrigerator

C IL

You continue to act like a child, but there may be a few grains to be winnowed out from your crazy over the top responses. that’s how we actually learn, right?  We discuss a simplified case, then a more generalized case, then corner cases. And when we understand the theory and laws and the limits, then we delve into the actual complexity of engineering things in the real world.  How many cycles it can take until wearing out.  What is a normal cycle vs abnormal.  Ambient temperature limits.  Etc.  You being the expert engineer, you know this already, eh?  We don’t start by bashing people over the head and saying look at me, I’m a genius, you are all morons because I am the grand poobah and this is what I was doing today.  Because one cannot get any traction in that manner.  I just gave you three different prompts above to start at a simplified case and calmly explain how this works.  And we got there, kind of, minus the calm and plus the insults and the Napoleon complex.  At low voltage There’s heat somewhere from more amps through a wire.  Me, from basic electrical theory, I figure this wire is rated to carry the heat for x time and y cycles in z to a ambient temp range.  This makes sense, very broadly.  But, as I don’t do this all day every day, maybe you can send this thing into the sun and it will still do its thing.  I mean, from what you’ve told us, it just works, period, no limits, all the specs written before I was born say so.  But heck, I just have two engineering degrees and a license, I’m sure I couldn’t understand any of this if you spelled it out in purple crayon.  I live down here with the rest of the cretins and when the magic smoke leaks out we just find another rock to use as a hammer.

So I’ve traveled, and noted my laptop inverter runs on 50-60Hz from 110-240V - maybe it was 255V, I don’t remember. And I’ve done it, and it works.  At 50Hz and whatever voltage India runs on, sometimes the inverter gets pretty darn hot, hotter than it is comfortable to hold, but it works. I of course mostly left it unplugged in the third world because electrical outages and brownouts and the grid cutting back in are multiple-times per day occurrences, and just like I don’t slam the throttle around on engines, I don’t try to put excessive electrical stresses on my equipment if it can be avoided.

So if I get a constant voltage power source, say, a 12V battery hooked to an alternator at 14.2 volts, and I hook the positives together and the negatives together, what happens to this laptop inverter that is not rated at this voltage, as written right on the inverter itself?  According to your adamant stance, everyone knows since long before I was born that all of these electrical components are rated to handle this voltage which is clearly above zero, no problem, and we imply from your stance that it will work forever and never fail.  And yet there is a rating on the inverter.

This is not a trick question.  You can choose to, calmly, reveal what is happening.  I actually don’t care enough to remember how it works.  I distinctly recall burning up an electrical component, designed to pull up voltage, in a lab.  That doesn’t mean a company would release a design component that would do that in a real world device, it simply means that it is possible in a lab to push something outside of its performance envelope.  Or, you can keep hammering your way into bedrock with a pickaxe making grand statements.  Either way, I’m done.  Good luck and try some breathing exercises to release some of that rage.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)