AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

surge protector vs. the refrigerator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

2TrakR
Posted 7/18/2021 08:07 (#9115955 - in reply to #9115634)
Subject: RE: surge protector vs. the refrigerator

Saginaw Bay Area - Michigan
westom - 7/17/2021 22:44

2TrakR - 7/17/2021 11:14
Low voltage -> High amperage -> Exceeds component thermal capacity -> component failure.

It does not happen in electronics. It only happens when wild speculation invents fears. Otherwise we have read numbers that justify that wild speculation.

We, who actually do this stuff, routinely verify damage cannot happen. For example, one peer (Tom MacIntyre) demonstrates:
> We operate everything on an isolated variac, which means that I can control the voltage going into the unit I am working on from about 150 volts down to zero. This enables us to verify power regulation for over and under-voltage situations. ...

Switching supplies ... can and will regulate with very low voltages on the AC line in; the best I've seen was a TV which didn't die until I turned the variac down to 37 VAC! A brownout wouldn't have even affected the picture on that set.
Die as in power off; without damage.

Demonstrated is what the informed know and do . We actually do stuff. Do not post wild speculation as if it proves anything:

Low voltage does not damage electronics. Low voltage is a threat to less robust appliances: ie central air, refrigerator, vacuum cleaner, furnace.

Only wild speculation claims damage. By posting subjectively - also called a lie.

International design standards (long before a PC existed) said all voltages down to zero must cause no damage. One standard was so blunt as to write, in all capital letters, across the entire low voltage area: "No Damage Region."

He operated that 120 volt TV even at 37 volts before it powered off. Without damage - since international design standards demand it. International design standards do not make claims from wild speculation. Reality is based in and demonstrates by numbers.

No datasheet and no number was cited because low voltage does not do that damage. Only lies from wild speculation promote that fable.

Thanks for calling me a liar.

Except I did not say low voltage caused the failure. Low voltage will cause amperage to increase, which will cause thermal failures amongst other issues. The low voltage in itself did not cause the failure, it was just the first step that lead to the failure.

You write like one who has read the books but has no practical experience.

I base my position on 31 years of direct IT support and that personal, repeated, experience says low voltage will cause - indirectly - substantial equipment failure and that it is more common than spikes or excess voltage on AC lines.
I also stand by the proven position that an UPS or other isolation device, will prevent many of these failures.
None of these will help with direct or nearby lightning strikes, though there are configurations that can minimize such damage.

PS - your buddy Tom is playing in a lab, which is very different than real-world grid-powered fluctuations. I'm sure his lab-tested results are very accurate and true, but substantially different than what actually happened in the OP's household during his incident.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)