AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is my dad lying to me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 11/16/2018 19:36 (#7109896 - in reply to #7109829)
Subject: RE: Is my dad lying to me?

The answer is highly variable. You say "good ground", good ground some places would be 150 bushel corn ground, and be black in color. Other places it would be a hundred bushels an acre higher.

While it's his business, just for the sake of spitballing, it could be anywhere between 50000 and 200000+ he is making every year. I don't know his exact yields and they vary every year. I don't know his marketing scheme. If he hits the top third of the market every year like a clock it's a big difference between that and hauling it straight to the elevator and collecting the check at harvest time and taking what he gets.

My guess is it took a lot of sacrifice to pay that ground off. He may have sacrificed saving for retirement to pay for ground and is now playing catch up.

At age 32 you are much too young to remember the 80's farming culture. Guessing Dad is mid to late 50's. That was likely when he was getting into farming. The 80's scared the pee out of a big group of guys now in their 40's and 50's and older. We saw so many bankruptcies. Some affected us so personally it left deep scars. The guys forced out mostly fell into two classes. Guys that were throwing good money after bad and good farmers who had some debt and the bank shut them off credit wise. Guessing that has made dad debt averse and he sees spending big dollars on a new machine as an expense he might have to borrow for and doesn't want to get pinched because he gets cut off.

250 bushel corn and 80 bushel beans get grown every year by guys with 30 and 40 year old equipment. The seed doesn't care that the old Deere 7000 planter pulled by an early series Magnum planted it.

I'd guess that dad is pulling your leg a bit but many successful people keep their own counsel.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)